History of our Church
Harringay Congregational Church originated in a Sunday school started in 1891 in Falkland Hall, an upstairs room behind a shop at the south corner of Falkland Road and Green Lanes.
Land was bought at the junction of Allison Road with Green Lanes and an iron building was opened there in 1894.
It was replaced by a permanent church, opened in 1902, and by a new hall and schoolrooms, built as a three storey block in Allison Road in 1912.
The church, of red brick with stone dressings and in the Gothic style, underwent major internal reconstruction in 1970, when the seating capacity was reduced from about 650 to 220. All three halls, collectively known as Allison Hall, were retained by the church in 1972, although the bottom one had been leased to the government since 1947.
In 1969 Harringay Congregational Church united with Hornsey Church of Christ to become Harringay United Church. The Hornsey premises in Wightman Road were sold to a Pentecostal church which is now The Gospel Centre.
1982, Harringay United Church affiliated with the London Baptist Association [LBA] and the Baptist Union of Great Britain [BUGB].
In 2007, the Church was renamed Harringay United Church-Baptist after the Church’s decision and agreement from Congregational Trustees and was registered as a full Charity in August 2009.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.